Thursday, September 15, 2005

Working with the TRANSgeneration



One of the cool parts of my day job is that I get to work with a variety of people, from all walks of life, in different states of development and growth and faith.

Starting this fall, one of the students I've worked with will be featured in a new weekly documentary show on the
Sundance Channel called Transgeneration. It's about college students switching more than just their majors. You may even catch a glimpse of me, in a scene with Raci, one of the students featured in the series.

The show debuts this fall (next week) on Sundance, but several campuses are showing previews this week to their student bodies. My office is doing one later today (Thursday) in the afternoon, complete with discussion with the directors and students involved in the production.

Like I've said before, I love my day job. So fun. Energetic. Learn something new every day. Every day is different. It's what I went to grad school for. Student development and administration (writing is a very fun side gig). Students are like sponges for the most part. They love to learn. Are open minded. And progressive. For the most part. At least the ones I see on a daily basis. (Thank goodness I'm not in red-state country... or red-part of Cali).

Full-time staff, like the adults... are another story at times. Most are very cool. Some... well, found the whole idea of doing a show about students transitioning their gender identities "offensive," "disgusting," and "morally corrupt." If you could see my e-mail inbox... you'd think I was declaring war on Beverly Hills or something. Anyway... chill. It's just television. And I know the whole idea of gender identity, and trans issues, is something many of us, including myself, get a little confused over.

Catch Transgeneration this fall on Sundance... I took a quick peek at the preview DVD and it's a great series. I'm learning a lot. And I'm sure you will, too!
fs


1 comment:

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

FS: Don't even get me started on the ideas that people have about "transgeneration." Where I live is soooo sheltered! No one can really be themselves on the outside unless they are prepared to get laughed at or have the fingers pointed at them. Fortunately, Houston is 100 miles away so we travel there we can be have more freedom of expression.

I am interested in this show; I hope I get this channel @ home. I knew a guy once who did that; he's a beautiful woman now. they did a documentary about her on the Discovery Channel.

Your job sounds awesome! I love how students are sponges! No wonder I wanna teach college level Lit. as well!