Friday, September 09, 2005

Jackie's Back. Or Oughta Come Back. 2005 Summer Films.


Even though I'm not a big fan of so-called "summer blockbuster" films, there is usually one or two that might catch my eye and get me into the cineplex. (though I generally try to avoid cineplexes when possible)

I'm more of an art-house, dark or sarcastic humor, international, award-contending, documentary-loving kinda film boy, and when I go to see a film, I'm more likely to stop in at Laemmle's in Pasadena or West L.A.

This summer nothing called out to me. At all. In terms of films. At the actual theatres. Maybe Crash, but that was more like late spring.

Yeah, I liked The Ski Trip a lot that came out on LOGO this summer. In fact, got to meet the filmmaker, Maurice Jamal, this summer and told him I thought it was really good -- refreshing, fun, feel-good. Catch it on LOGO if you can. Liked Lackawanna Blues, too, but that was more like late spring. And just like Jackie's Back -- favorites that made their debut on television.

Other than that... did I miss anything?

I'm looking forward to the new Jodie Foster film about the missing girl on the plane. And the commercials for the new Gwyneth Paltrow look kinda interesting. And, like I said, I'm a sucker for the award-season contenders that generally come to theatres in fall and that week between Christmas and New Year's. Looking forward to the fall film preview in the newspaper this Sunday.

In the meantime, I've been re-watching some of my FAVORITES at home for the billionth time:
Jackie's Back, The Color Purple, Dancer in the Dark (with Bjork), Far From Heaven, The Hours, Eve's Bayou, Moulin Rouge. My favorites -- from joy to sadness to happiness. Moody like the writer in me.

Anyway, what did you see this summer that really spoke to you? Or what films are you looking forward to this fall/winter?
fs

No comments: