Monday, September 12, 2005

Booked L.A. Book Club


(And "they" say black men don't read...)

On Sunday afternoon, I had the great pleasure of meeting with the Booked L.A. Book Club, a group of about 15 professional black men who get together to discuss books they've read. They chose Down For Whatever as their book for this month. Thanks so much!

Great group: lots of fun(ny) comments; tons of food and drink; and smart discussion about everything from politics to pop culture. And they get together not just for books. They have great parties and retreats, I hear, to supplement the book talk.

This is the second book club I've had the pleasure of meeting with. You may recall in August I met with the Derrick L. Briggs' Book Club... you know, the guys who really make you feel "Books Are Sexy." :-) They broke me in and got me ready for other book clubs. Thanks!

The fun (and scary) thing about meeting with groups who have read your book is that you never know what to expect. You never know in what ways, both good and bad, your book will resonate with people. And it's kind of like being a fly on the wall to a private conversation, as you listen to the insights people have about something you wrote in private but is out there for public consumption. It's something very cool, but it can't be explained unless you're sitting and experiencing it... which I hope all you aspiring authors will get to experience one day!

Anyway, thanks to Douglas for hosting in his fabulous SilverLake townhouse, and thanks to the guys of Booked L.A.

And now for the coolest part... the addendum. At the end of each meeting, the next host introduces the book he's chosen for the group. It turns out they will be reading a book I've told you all about since this spring... The Untelling by Tayari Jones. She's a great friend, writing mentor, and most excellent author whom I've had the pleasure of knowing for a few years. And this totally wasn't fixed... just one of those things that happen. I know they'll enjoy the book and they'll be discussing it on October 23.

(And if you're in the L.A. area, and want information on joining Booked L.A., send me a note and I'll make sure to pass it along to the club membership committee!)
fs

6 comments:

TheBlacks said...

Thanks again Fred for taking time out of your busy schedule to sit and chat with the fellas of Booked_LA

Anonymous said...

Fred,

It was a pleasure having you at Booked_LA's meeting this past Sunday. I know all the guys enjoyed talking with you about the book and other subjects that your book ignited. I appreciate your graciousness. I'm looking forward to reading The Untelling.

Talk with you soon.

Frederick Smith said...

I can't wait to meet with you guys again... Book #2. Can I get that in writing? :-)

I hope you enjoy The Untelling. I told Tayari about you guys reading her book next!
fs

Anonymous said...

Hey man, sorry I did not get a chance to be there on Sunday, but I know your book since we discussed it at In The Mean Time, I am glad my other brothers had a chance to experience another dynamic black author.

Peace & Blessings,
Garth.

princessdominique said...

Congrats on the book release. The book club sounds like a fun bunch!

www.princessdominique.com/blog

Tayari Jones said...

Wow, a all-brother book club! I love that they are reading both of our books. I wish I lived in LA so I could come to the meeting!