Friday, September 16, 2005

Do You Know This Man? Rogelio Martinez...




Rogelio Martinez. Singer. Actor. Performer. Song writer. Born in Mexico. Living in L.A. Not too far from my hood. Like 27/28 years old.

Sings the kind of music that one or two characters in my novel would listen to at Club Tempo, where some of Down For Whatever is set. Cumbias. Reggae. Rancheras. And romantic ballads. Definitely marketed toward a younger market. Very nice voice. (And for my East Coast book club friends... that center picture is the Club Tempo look... for real for real!)

When I write, I create little character boards with pictures, physical characteristics, likes, dislikes, language and word choices, what insecurities the character has and doesn't, what they ultimately want in life. Sometimes I create obituaries for characters, to get a big picture idea of a character's potential life and where they're headed. Character boards are helpful when I'm stuck, have put the story down for a long time, etc... It helps me get back into character.

The skull cap photo of Rogelio (above left) was useful in the character board for one of the characters in Down For Whatever. (Disclaimer: Rogelio is NOT a character in the book, nor is the character based on his life or experiences...)

But I thought I'd share a bit of him with you today. Maybe Rogelio Martinez will inspire something in you... writing, listening to music, bailando, or whatever else you like to do on a Friday night... or the weekend!
fs

1 comment:

Cherlyn Michaels said...

I've heard of other writers creating the character board. I didn't do it with my first 2 books, but I might try it on the next one. Because I'm finding that the more I write, the more the uniqueness of the character physical attributes decrease, unless I can see it. Cool tool!