Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Memory Lane Music


So yesterday morning, before heading off to the gym, I turned on VH1's retro station. The morning song: "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (To Have A Good Time)" by Jermaine Stewart.

So of course that was like the 80s, and it got me thinking about some oldies-but-goodies of other, more recent decades gone by. So I dusted off the cedar chest, real soap opera flashback style, and dug out.... (gasp, holding pearls Karen Walker style) some cassingles. You know... cassette singles, those things you put in tape recorders long before all we knew were MP3s and CDs.

Picture it. Chicago. 1994-1995. Hot summer. Lakefront Hall at Loyola. Lake Michigan. That jeep. That military encoun... aah, anyway. In random order... I think these are like more Summer 1995...

1. "I Can Call You" by Portrait (Portrait boys... where are you? The Booked LA boys want a comeback!)
2. "Froggy Style" by Nuttin' Nyce (before Back That Thang Up was even thought of...)
3. "He's Mine" by MoKenStef (Monica and Brandy updated this musical catfight just a few years later)
4. "Don't Take It Personal (One Of Dem Days)" by Monica (the sole survivor of the class of 1994-95 debuts... oh, and the woman at #6 below...)
5. "We Must Be In Love" by Pure Soul (one of the best love songs of all time in my humble opinion)
6. "Sentimental" by Deborah Cox (still one of my all-time favorite CDs)

Just a quick stroll down memory lane. What was included on your mix tapes ten summers ago?
fs

1 comment:

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

ten summers ago? maaaan...i was eleven years old! I loved Ace of Base "I saw the sign...." That whole album was awesome. That was when I just started to actually LOVE music!