Sunday, June 19, 2005

Can You Woo-Woo-Woo?


Posted by Hello
Karaoke can bring out the best in a writer... at a birthday party. Or should I say peach sangria brings out the karaoke in a writer?

Well, if I had actually sung at Shimeka's birthday party last night, I would have brought out a classic, tried and true song by Jeffrey Osborne. But I didn't. I can't sing worth anything. That's why I write instead.

Can you woo-woo-woo?

OK. Don't get all addicted and singing it everywhere you go today. Because it's been in my mind for the past few weeks. And pops up at the most inopportune times... Can you woo-woo-woo?

Anyway...

Shikema had a cute birthday party last night. Turkey burgers. Karaoke. Peach sangria. Sitting underneath the suburban L.A. starry sky. Lots of fun.

The classics came out... classics that might come out during your Father's Day celebrations today: Jeffrey Osborne, George Benson, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Evelyn "Champagne" King. It was truly a black classic, soulful evening.

How this ties to writing... because I want to make sure I'm keeping this blog somewhat literary... I picked up great details to enhance my second manuscript, which is on my agenda for some time this and next month. Black suburban life. Couple life. Remembering the oral tradition of black folks, and how one subject and story leads to another. How even after little or no contact, people can reconnect like they just saw each other last week. How barbeque brings folks together. How the fascination with celebrity is the same across cultures, though Michael, Raven, Mariah, and Will/Jada brought up some strong conversation. How some folks want to go inside to watch the fight versus being in the karaoke room. More details on being the spouse/partner of a firefighter. Little things I wouldn't know from just interviewing Shimeka, but details you observe and make meaning of and inferences about. Fun stuff. Fun details that make fiction a little more real and resonant.

Anyway, hope you're having a great Sunday. A great Father's Day with your loved ones. Which reminds me... I have to call home, which I'm going to do right now.
fs

Can you woo-woo-woo? :-)

No comments: