Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The BBD. Thinking About Character Development.

Ate dinner with someone tonight in a very "L.A." part of town, and we talked about L.A., how there seem to be very few genuine friendships in L.A., and how our upbringings in other parts of the country shape our abilities to see things L.A. from an outsider's perspective that L.A. natives wouldn't necessarily see. Nothing good. Nothing bad. Just observations.

And then my friend suggested the reason why he thinks there are no real, or genuine, friendships in L.A. and why he's found making "real" friends, compared to other places he's lived, a challenge.

The BBD. The Bigger Better Disorder.

Kinda works like this: you don't say yes, but you don't say no to an invitation or suggestion of getting together; you wait until all offers are on the table from amongst acquaintences; you take the bigger, better offer; you don't call the other offers back.

Myth? Stereotype? Rumor? Who knows?

I thought it was interesting and got me thinking about fiction. How does a city shape the overall personalities of people living in it? And how much have I thought about this when writing. I don't think much... but it's something to think about for you...me...whoever writes.

How would someone who grew up in Cedar Falls, Iowa view friendship? Or Chicago?

How would someone living in Atlanta view an invitation to go out with the guys or girls on a Friday night? Compared with someone living in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan?

Would someone raised in Brooklyn view driving differently than someone raised in L.A.?

I could come up with a million more questions, but it's definitely something worth thinking about more often as I work toward becoming a better writer. Hopefully you too.

Who knew the BBD would get me thinking about writing?
fs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm from Chicago and now live in Atlanta. Ever since Atlanta hosted the Olympics in '96, there has been an influx of people relocating from other states and countries. Therefore the southern charm is waning.

Well that's my take.

Kevin C
ATL