Monday, February 06, 2006

Kindred. One City, One Story.

A few days ago you might recall that I wrote about author Octavia Butler and asked for your feedback on what to start reading by her (view Octavia Butler entry here). I got a ton of responses through the blog and off line. Thanks.

Well, the city of Pasadena, California has chosen Octavia Butler's novel, Kindred, as its 2006 selection for the One City, One Story program.

This is a yearly city-wide initiative which seeks to get the entire city -- from schools and students to readers and regular folks -- to unite around reading the same title... and then engaging in a number of city-sponsored discussions and events throughout the year around the book.

So I've started reading Kindred. And it's good... and even if you don't live in Pasadena, you can join the bandwagon, too... and maybe we'll have our own discussion here in a few weeks. What do you think?
fs

4 comments:

Arch City Expatriate said...

I've heard of the program in Pasadena. Sounds like a great one.

Thanks for the insight on the book too. Congrats to Butler.

the last noel said...

I'll check out this book. I like Ms. Butler. I dind't know which book of hers to read next. Now, I know. Thanks!

D-Place said...

You all will enjoy this book very much. There may be some things that make you uncomfortable...but overall this is an excellent book. It is a very creative concept.

BuddahDesmond said...

I love Octavia Butler. Though I haven't had the opportunity to get to this book yet. (I've been busy trying to read everything else). I'm in the midst of finishing her book of short stories, Bloodchild. The city where I'm attending school, Rochester, NY, selected Kindred as their One City, One Story book a few years ago. As soon as I finish Bloodchild, I'm definitely going to have to check this one out.