Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I Tried. I Gagged. I Stopped.


Now get your minds out the gutter... because I'm talking about the State of the Union address last night. All 52 gut-wrenching minutes of it.

I tried to watch. I gagged at most of what I heard. I stopped to catch my breath.

But I did continue watching. Because I wanted to be informed of the latest smoke and mirrors talk coming from Washington.

For some it's paranoia (oops, I mean reality), for me... it's the longest running stage production that I'm forced to watch... and no, I'm not moving to Canada or anywhere else for that matter, because I still have hope we'll undo most of the mess created since 2000 before I die in say... 50+ years from now.

Thank God for alternative and rebuttal talk like opinions like this, or Air America, or KPFK in L.A. (there's stations like this in your area). At least I know I'm not alone in my thinking... I'm not, am I? Sometimes it feels like it.

If you're not registered to vote, please do so. You can do it here at Rock The Vote.

I'm really trying to understand the mindset of people who support the current administration -- especially those people of color, women, LGBT, and other historically-oppressed populations.

In fact, I'm trying to write a character like this in a story I'm working on, but I swear it's hard because I just want want to paint him as a one-dimensional stupid person without any thought, compassion or humanity. There's gotta be some there, right?

Well, if I'm successful in creating this character and weaving him into the story I'm working on, I hope you won't gag. And I hope you won't stop reading.
fs

3 comments:

Clay said...

that speech was vile and foolish ... i couldnt endure ...

Arch City Expatriate said...

Wasn't that speech the biggest GOP pep-rally farce?

Anonymous said...

I am so over President Bush. The sight of him and the sound of his voice gets on my nerves. I missed the State of the Union for the first time in about five years for a constitutional reason. Two hours of watching him is cruel and unsusual punishment. Out of respect for the office I won't call him what he is. But let it suffice to say that his pants are most certainly on fire.