Friday, February 10, 2006

20s. 30s. 40s. Beyond.

Found a really fun blog site this week, Thirties Are Sexiest, where thirtiesh people, events, and things are highlighted and celebrated. It's a fun place to visit.

Got me thinking about all the words of wisdom, cliches, and phrases that discuss the joys and perils of aging.

One, that I heard a lot while growing up was that the 20s are all about discovering yourself, traveling, setting your foundation in a positive way... so that the "little" things you worry about in your 20s aren't worrying you in your 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond. I think that's why my parents and family emphasized education, not wasting time with education, but also having fun while on the journey.

I also heard things like: do NOT get married, or in a serious relationship, in your 20s... because you don't know who you are or what you really want in a partner.

I heard that in your 30s, you FINALLY get it! Whatever... it... is. At the same time, I also heard, mostly from same-age peers: 30 is old.

Now, of course we all know 30 isn't old. It's just the beginning. Especially if we're given, on average, 70 - 80 years to live and prosper with.

And, of course, I only have the 20s and 30s lifestyle to speak to... and I value the words, wisdom, and experiences of those who have lived longer than me.

What are your thoughts on aging?

In the meantime, one of my favorite poems on life, age, and experience is "Seven Women's Blessed Assurance" by Maya Angelou, as published in The Collected Poems of Maya Angelou. I just love it... especially when I've heard Dr. Angelou perform it. Her voice really reflects each of the women she writes of in the poem.

Seven Women's Blessed Assurance

1
One thing about me,
I'm little and low,
find me a man
wherever I go.

2
They call me string bean
'cause I'm so tall.
Men see me,
they ready to fall.

3
I'm young as morning
and fresh as dew.
Everybody loves me
and so do you.

4
I'm fat as butter
and sweet as cake.
Men start to tremble
each time I shake.

5
I'm little and lean,
sweet to the bone.
They like to pick me up
and carry me home.

6
When I passed forty
I dropped pretense,
'cause men like women
who got some sense.

7
Fifty-five is perfect,
so is fifty-nine
'cause everybody needs
to rest sometime.

2 comments:

the last noel said...

Since we are living into our 80's, haven't you heard? Our thirties are the new teens. (I like to think that I'm still sneaking out on school nights.)

Troy N. said...

the rightnow is the best age, whatever rightnow you're on. Lovin' this; Gerber daisies rock