Thursday, February 28, 2008

Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do

So since I'm heading down to San Diego today for a reading/book event, I've been reading a bit from a few of my literary influences/mentors. It's part of the gig... sharing someone's work who influenced us.

I've narrowed my choice down to E. Lynn Harris Invisible Life, which I wrote about once and how it influenced me personally when I discovered it. There's a couple passages there that I know students who are figuring themselves out would identify with. That relateability and being interesting factor are important when doing an event with college students.

My other choice is the first chapter of Pearl Cleage's Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do. It's so well written, timely, and entertaining. It focuses on an ex-drug addict sitting in a mortgage office, trying to explain how she'll catch up on her delinquent mortgage payments. Really fun stuff and flows well while reading out loud. It would be fun to introduce her work to a bunch of young folks.

Hmmm.

Anyway, will be at the UC San Diego Cross Cultural Center at 5 pm today (Thursday) along with Fiona Zedde. If you're there, stop by.

It's a beautiful day for a drive along the ocean. About 80, sunny, light breeze. I might even open up the sun roof... that's something I haven't done this year.

Geez, I love SoCali!
fs

Anyway

No comments: