Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One In A Million

A couple weeks ago, I was able to pick up an advanced reader copy of Kimberla Lawson Roby's new novel, One in a Million. I'm so happy I did.

I've only read the first few chapters, as I'm feverishly in the midst of my own end-of-summer edict/deadline, but what I've read so far has me hooked.

The gist: imagine you've got some great -- and I mean GREAT -- news to share with your partner; but just before you break the news, your partner delivers some shocking -- and I mean SHOCKING -- news to you.

That's all I can say... but when you find out the great news the character was going to share (by the end of chapter one), it'll make you leap for joy wondering how this is all going to play out.

For those of you who've followed the author's career, you know she's had a series of fiction books following the trials and tribulations of a shady pastor, Curtis Black. This book is a stand alone, so you don't have to know all the history of the other series to catch on to this one.

This fun summer read will be out next week.
fs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Smith, I just finished ur second novel "right side of the wrong bed". i found myself getting teary over the last chapter. i m not gay but i m so surprised that i m able to connect with Kenny,wat he thinks and wat he's been thru. I've never finished a novel from beginning to the end, urs is the first one. here are the sentences that moved me the most:" Jeremy's mom said i'd given Jeremy reason to live for himself, and not just for protecting his brothers from trouble". Thanks for ur novel, Mr. Smith. U gave me something to remember and ponder over.