Saturday, December 08, 2007

For "The Fam" In Uniforms

We all know "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has been deemed ineffective by many, and may be out the door depending on who the next president is.

Anywho, a couple of things you may want to add to the holiday stocking of someone wanting to learn more about LGBT folks in uniform, or who are actually LGBT folks serving our country or local communities.

Coming Out Under Fire, a documentary that shoots to the heart of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, and explores the World War II origins of military regulations that labeled gays and lesbians as mentally ill and sex perverts. Directed by Arthur Dong.

A Private Affair, a novel by Mike Warren, follows the life of Sean, a private in the military, who carries on a number of steamy affairs with women and men while in service, as he figures out his own sexual orientation issues.

Sounds hot. But I've been known to be a sucker for a uniform. Yum. So is my good buddy, Real California Chica. We used to have fun touring the bases down in San Diego while doing writing research. :-)
fs

1 comment:

Alana Albertson said...

Hi Fred. First I love love love your new book. I just finished a new book by Steve Zeeland called the Masculine Marine - about gay marines. And I am deep into my second novel about two gay marines that are torn about by the corps. I posted a picture of Marines at my wedding dancing to YMCA on my blog. And we really need to make another "date" to go touring bases. My husband gets out in April so time is running out before my pass expires.