Friday, January 04, 2008

Stuff Like This Just Makes Me...

Wanna pull an afro puff.

Student comes into my office. Now, my first question before any greeting is, "Are you registered to vote?"

So he goes, "Yeah."

So I ask, "So what did you think of the Iowa elections yesterday?"

He goes, "My dad was mad. He says Obama is racist."

I go, "I've never heard that before about Obama. Maybe other candidates. But not Obama. Maybe you should research Obama's views and speeches before taking your dad's word. Do you think that's a good idea?"

He goes, "Well, my dad's usually right. He votes for the family."

I go, "What do you mean?"

He goes, "Oh, we do mail in ballots. He votes for all five of us in the family."

!!!!!!!?????????

Needless to say, I gave him a good talking to about how since he's a college student about to graduate that he needs to start taking responsibility for his voting decisions... not relying on his dad. He is from a family of color, though not African American. Their five family votes... apparently will go to Hillary Clinton.

Then, I remembered having a similar conversation with a young lady last year about how her boyfriend told her she needed to vote for Bush in the last election. And she did it. And regretted it.

Are we still in the Stone Age? Or the 50s?
fs

1 comment:

Cherlyn Michaels said...

Wow! Hopefully this student will take to heart what you've said and will do the research and make up his own mind. Whatever the vote is their choice, if it's actually their choice. Sad that the father wouldn't encourage his family members to think for themselves and voice their own preference through voting.