LOUDmouth magazine -- a feminist magazine coming out of Cal State LA -- is seeking essays (critical and/or personal), reportage, poetry, fiction, photography, illustrations, artwork and more for our spring issue on FOOD.
Topics may include but are by no means limited to:
- struggles for food rights/anti-privatization movements
- gendered and racialized aspects of restaurant work/women chefs/family restaurants
- class and food/accessibility of food/buying food on credit/trendy food
- sex and food/aphrodisiacs/fast-food commercials/gastroporn
- urban agriculture/community farm projects
- food and familial/community/ethnic traditions and connections
- vegetarianism and feminism/food-related beliefs and lifestyles/eating organic
- family recipes/recipes with a story
- labor and food
- feelings about and approaches to eating/joy of eating/disordered eating
- food options in schools
- food marketed toward women
- food-related waste
DIY: gardening/composting/eating on a budget/nutrition as healthcare
Deadline for pitches: December 12th
(What this means: If you want to write about any of the above topics or another topic related to food, send a pitch regarding your idea as soon as possible. Just send a brief note about what you're thinking and we'll start a back-and-forth about how it might work for this issue.)
Please note: Contributors need not be students nor Angelenos nor members of any particular identity group. Contributors do need to write from a feminist perspective that takes as a given the interconnectedness of multiple systems of oppression and that consciously avoids reinforcing whiteness, heterosexuality and the like as invisible/normative. Contributors who are enthusiastic and good with deadlines are greatly appreciated.
Please send all submissions to Christine Petit, Editor in Chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
feminism: fem'e-niz'em -n. [The] movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation and [all] oppression. - bell hooks