Friday, December 29, 2006

The Myth of the Magical New Year's Eve

Mood Tunes: Can You Feel It by The Jacksons and Centipede by Rebbie Jackson(YouTube)

Most of us think New Year's Eve is supposed to be like this.



While, many of us end up doing this.








I think the Myth of the Magical New Year's Eve has been sold on us as greatly as the Myth of the Perfect Christmas Day. Marketing. Hopes. Reality.

For the past I don't know how many years, I've spent my NYE at overpriced party locations. Except last year, where I went to a great house party in the valley.

And, with all supposed magical nights, we go in with the Carrie Bradshaw Sex & The City fantasy in our heads... new scene, new man, new outlook on life. That somehow at midnight, there will be this glow around you, fireworks in the background, everything will be in slow motion, as you and the stranger across the room raise your champagne glasses and magic is born.

But at the end of the night, things are still the same.

Which is not to say the myth can't become reality. But... for the most part, life continues as it was before spending a couple hundred bucks on party tickets, clothes, and party accessories.

Funny. When I was a kid, I spend every... and I mean EVERY NYE in church with the family. That was before I discovered... what I thought I needed to discover in life. This NYE, one of my cousins who just finished theology school will do his first sermon. Wish I could have made it.

What am I doing NYE? I'll be in the air over somewhere in the western U.S. and will pretty much miss all the build up to NYE.

And you? Your NYE myths or stories to share?

If I don't post, or you don't read before then... Happy New Year! Be safe and have fun whatever you do!!!
fs

1 comment:

C. Baptiste-Williams said...

so i imagined the fireworks and glow around me... damn