Thursday, September 21, 2006

Don't Date Him. And Other Mentor Moments.

So ever since my dad died earlier this year, I've been feeling very paternalistic. Not that I am going to, or expect to, have any kids... ever.

But I know that through my work at a college and as a published author, I serve as an "older brother" -- can't quite go "father" -- figure. Especially with my students, I feel like I've got "kids." And the freshmen... born in 1988... I had a life in 1988!

I know that by trying to do the right thing, by sharing my successes and challenges, by striving not to become a statistic, I am serving as a de-facto role model. That's something we definitely need be more mindful of in our LGBT community, and all the smaller groups within that community. We're mentors and people are looking for mentors all the time.

Anyhoo, this morning. The topic of the morning is this website Don't Date Him Girl, and if it's a responsible thing to post information and photos about past dating nightmares and partners. Is it legal? Libelous? Are the posters providing information for younger people, or "mentees", to learn from their mistakes? Or are people having a difficult time getting over being burned by someone?

I'm wondering when it comes to dating in the LGBT community, and all the smaller groups within that community, do we have a responsibility to share information -- formally or informally -- about the people our friends or younger people choose to date or hang out with? Should we keep our opinions -- whether based on feelings or facts -- to ourselves and let our friends "learn their lesson" on their own? Or do we have a responsibility to guide our brothers and sisters so they don't have to face an unfortunate outcome from a person who might not be all we think they should be?

Your thoughts? Should the LGBT community develop its own "Don't Date Him/Her Boy/Girl" mentality? Or do we already provide this "service" when we're out and about with friends?
fs

No comments: