Monday, February 14, 2005

Daily Texican, Weekend, Editing, and a Starred Kirkus for Kerry Madden

What up everyone? First, let me shout out to The Daily Texican for shouting out to me today. Come to think of it, I haven't shared (or figured out how to link my blog home page) other blogs I read on a regular basis. Later this week for sure... Now go check out The Daily Texican and then come back...

OK... you're back. Cool. Hope it was a good weekend for all of you. I was productive.

Volunteered for a Gospel Fest type program at Cal State L.A. all Saturday. You know church folks. ALL day Saturday. Wanna shout out to my girl, Quella "Que" Porter, who put the show together. She's only 22 and doing BIG things in-front and behind-the-scenes in gospel music in L.A... and shout out to all the choirs and headliner, T.C. Bereal, for turning it out. Got enough church that I didn't go (or need to go) to Mass on Sunday...

Read through the final proof pages for DOWN FOR WHATEVER all day Sunday. This is like my 10,000th read through, and even after all that reading, I found copy editing improvements to be made. Like all the accent marks mysteriously going the opposite way they're supposed to go in the Spanish-language dialogue. And a few sentences or fragments I swore I'd fixed in the first edit after the professional proofreader at Kensington Books went through it. That's one of my peeves... books with errors. Don't want any in mine, though I'm sure one or two may slip through. Pray that doesn't happen...

Went to an Emerging Voices reading at Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena. It featured writers who'd just finished taking a class by Kerry Madden, my fabulous first fiction teacher when I moved to L.A. Great reading yesterday at Vroman's. But Kerry had good news. Her newest book, Gentle's Holler, just got a Starred Kirkus in the Feb. 15 issue, which is a really cool honor to get before your book comes out. Congratulations Kerry! Here's to getting a Starred Kirkus Review...

So later this week... an interview with Kerry, some of my regular blog reading, and other highlights from my oh-so-(fill in the blank)-life in L.A.
fs

No comments: