Sunday, November 19, 2006

What It Feels Like For A Girl


Mood Tune: What It Feels Like For A Girl by Madonna (YouTube)

Still reading Haters by Alisa Valdes Rodriguez, and hope to be finished by the end of the weekend. Loving the novel... a fictional tale of super rich kids, set in a super diverse area of SoCali, and with all the super meanness that goes on between the haves and have-nots, the regular kids and the popular ones (in this book, the haters).

Had a good conversation with one of my former students who is now a high school teacher for L.A. Unified. She was telling me about all the hating that goes on toward young women who stand up for themselves and don't take stereotypical gender play in school.

She showed me a flier for a kid's birthday party that she confiscated. No rules for the boys to attend. But for the girls... no skirts below the knee, no "granny panties" (I've learned so that when popping to reggaeton and hip hop, the thongs are visible), and no "haters" (but misspelled with 2 T's, which means, young women who won't talk back or stand up for themselves when boys feel them up or objectify them.) They basically want video vixens in the flesh in their classrooms and at the high school birthday party. She planned to talk with the parents about the invitation.

Pretty interesting stuff these days in high school. Makes me glad I'm not a parent at this time, though I "surrogate" many at the university, and I have young girl cousins. Makes you really wonder about the state of how boys and girls in high school...

fs

No comments: