Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Give and Gift Again



Some things are good the second time around... A movie, so that you can catch and recite your favorite lines. A former lover (if you're single), for old times sake... and just because. A second piece of chocolate... because it tastes good.

And at this time of year, a more serious topic of second time around.

To gift or re-gift?

I admit. I don't re-gift. However, I do supplement original gift packages with books I've read and received. And I always attach a note with the book, saying that I read it and thought the receiver would enjoy it. My library is huge and I want to spread the literary joy I've gotten. But I always give original gifts... or nothing at all until I have time to get an original gift.

But apparently, re-gifting is getting major press and buzz this year more than ever. Bad economy? Environmentalists and recyclers at work? Just plain frugality?

Check out these posts on re-gifting: Re-giftable.com, The Frugal Duchess, Dumb Little Man, and if you need some sound advice on keeping your finances in order, read the work of economist and scholar, Dr. Julianne Malveaux.

And for fun gift wrap and other things, check out Anne Taintor website. Carry on.
fs

1 comment:

Frugal Duchess said...

Thanks for the mention.
I like your book idea; as part of a birthday present, a friend gave me her (well-worn) copy of the Amy Tan memoir.

The literary gift added so much to the overall package.