Monday, October 30, 2006

The Hunt for Food & Booze & Men

Mood Tune: This Time I Know It's For Real by Donna Summer (YouTube)

Three of my favorite things... food, booze, Donna Summer, errr, um men. DS is a fave though.

And this weekend I feasted on two of the three -- with two birthday parties and a baby shower. Uh, no booze at the latter. But afterwards... another party. Why am I reverting to my favorite college drink -- midori sour with a splash of vodka? Soooo 19-year-old sophomore.

Anyhoo, the holiday shopping season is upon us. And this little doozie, Food & Booze, edited by Michelle Wildgen and published by Tin House, would be a nice treat under your/my tree. It's an ode to, you guessed it, food and booze.

Two quick little quotes from essays in Food & Booze: Elissa Schappell quotes Dorothy Parker in "Ode to a Martini" -- "I like to have a martini/Two at the very most --/After three in under the table/After four I'm under the host." Or this one from Chris Offut's essay, "There are two kinds of writers, you will hear people say, the ones who drink and ones who quit."

Cute.

There's another kind of holiday shopping going on too. Shopping for men. And my friend Clay Cane has followed up one of my faves by him, Halloween and the Hunt, with another Clay classic, The Hunt: Part Deux. Good stuff on black gay relationships that everyone can relate to.

Clay's writing is phenomenal and his upcoming novel, Ball-Shaped World, is going to be a hit.

Anyhoo, hope your hunt for food, booze, and men is a success. This time I know it's for real.
fs

No comments: