Monday, September 25, 2006

If

Mood tune: If by Janet Jackson (YouTube link)

Love that song... reminds me of my first days out and about -- legally -- in dance clubs. And I know we're all going to rush out and get Janet's 20 Y.O. and have it on our iPods for evening workouts. :-)

Anyway, spent the evening with someone I used to hang out with as more than a friend. We had coffee, desserts, and good conversation about his new situation and also how we used to hang... and how the new one doesn't really like us being as close as we are still.

It can be dangerous territory -- reminiscing with an ex -- but he and I are both mature and had/have no intentions of crossing any lines.

That crazy silly line. What if the line didn't matter? The emotional one or the physical one?

But of course, we -- the universal we -- always wonder about if. Well, at least I always wonder about the various forks in the road where I had to make decisions and how my life, and the people in it, could be different if I'd chosen option B instead of option A.

Silly options. What if I'd chosen to take my first post-grad school job in NYC, versus Cali? Who would I know? What would I be doing? Who would I not know?

It's crazy looking at all the big and small choices that lead to where we are today. I heard a speaker recently say that what has happened in our lives is exactly the way it's supposed to be, because it's that perfect combination that has brought us to the point we are right now.

OK. Been too reflective and philosophical lately. If I stop thinking so much, maybe I'll get myself a new storyline going for the fall.
fs

No comments: