Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Lambda Literary Finalists


Writers. Go to VONA Voices at University of San Francisco this summer!

Just read a summary of the nominees for the 2006 Lamdba Literary Awards, recognizing the achievements of authors writing for and about LGBT issues and community. Read more at Keith Boykin's site on some of the black LGBT nominees, and read more at the Lambda Literary Foundation site.

Congrats to
Keith Boykin (nominated for Beyond The Down Low) and Samiya Bashir (nominated for Where The Apple Falls), two of the nominees I've had the pleasure of meeting over the course of the past years while out doing book-related work.

But I also want to congratulate many of my writers friends -- I call them the Class of 2005 -- who I got to meet over the past year who deserve special recognition for their projects on black LGBT life and characters.


Specifically guys like Trent Jackson (At This Moment), Rashid Darden (Lazarus and forthcoming Covenant), Dayne Avery (I Wrote This Song), Brent Dorian Carpenter (Thugg The Barbarian King), and Alphonso Morgan (Sons), who did many of the same Pride Circuit book events as I did in summer 2005. Great guys who are working hard to write and publish their stories... and are a ton of fun to talk and hang with when we can. And I must not forget Fiona Zedde, who brought us her great novel Bliss, and who is a great label mate -- we're published by the same publishing house.

Oh, and go to Rashid's site and order Covenant. I've had a chance to read it -- TRUST-- it's excellent. I've always told Rashid he's the valedictorian of our Class of 2005. He knows how to write... and how to put together a story that people will enjoy and re-visit. That Jesuit education pays off, huh, Mr. Georgetown.

And also want to congratulate guys who bring us book clubs and conversations like Derrick L. Briggs and Booked L.A., who are about creating community, having fun, and getting people into books. Herndon Davis for getting our true life stories on television through his talk show.

I know there are a ton of others out there. Tell us who they are.

Anyway, I am still loving that Dolly Parton quote from below: "I didn't win, but I'm sure not a loser." Hope it's a good Tuesday wherever you are!
fs

No comments: