Thursday, October 13, 2005

Yeah, Another Daddy Yankee Entry



And what? lol. If you don't know me by now, I can be serious and novelistic... and can be a pop culture teeny-bopper at the same time. Just human nature.

Some of you may know that I'm a big Daddy Yankee fan. Never met him. Never been to a concert. Never quite understand ALL the lyrics, though my Spanish is decently passable and conversational. Uh... and I never even got a return e-mail (sike!).

But DY is the man who, after being in music for a minute, got reggaeton music noticed and recognized in the mainstream in the past year. Y'all all know that song, "Gasolina" that everyone played last winter and early spring. That's DY.

And they play like a billion of his songs on Latino 96.3 here in L.A., which is all reggaeton and hip hop music all the time.


The station's music and DY kinda inspired the writing of my second novel, which is sitting on a desk in NYC just a-waiting for the green light and all. And a lot of the young men who use the space of my day job kinda look like him. Everyone's a frigging Daddy Yankee look-alike in L.A. So one of my main characters in Book #2 is a DY fan and wannabe. Anyway...

This morning before coming to the office, turned on one of the billion VH1 channels I get . A block of Daddy Yankee videos. Loving his little hop/skip dance in "Lo Que Paso, Paso." A nice way to start the morning. Morning aerobics con DY. Mmmmmm....

fs

No comments: