Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Debbie Downer. And Parking Lot Politics.

I love the Debbie Downer skits on Saturday Night Live.

Everyone's having a great time, then wah wah wah, Debbie Downer interrupts the fun with some important (to her), but WAY off topic remark. Usually a downer. Ewww.

At times I know I can be Debbie Downer, but for the most part I keep it positive and light.

Everyone's got their worries, and mine are no different or any more important than anybody else's. So why add to the mix? I have my Downer group of friends where we can talk serious stuff, and then my non-Downer group of friends where we can talk non-serious stuff.

So I don't know if this is a Debbie Downer moment or not, but do you have those moments right when you're pulling into your parking lot at work... or walking to the elevator of your office building... or hurrying down the hall to the restroom, and there's the one person you really just want to avoid. Not because he or she is a bad person, but maybe just don't have the same energy and vibe you do?

I had that little dilemma yesterday morning as I pulled into the parking structure. I know everyone's car. And I saw HERS. And I saw her finishing her make up. And I saw her put her blazer on over her dress that couldn't/didn't zip up all the way in the back. And I saw her get her lunch out the passenger side of her car. And I saw her play with her hair one MORE time. And I saw her put her club on her car steering wheel. Does anybody even use a club anymore?

And I listened to almost 10 minutes of the Steve Harvey Morning Show. It kept me entertained while I stalled. So I wouldn't have to walk with her to the work space. Because everything from her is a critical remark of everyone else's work, car, clothes, etc..., while everything she does is perfect, above reproach, untouchable, and the gospel. Ten minutes of the Steve Harvey Morning Show.

Am I a silly Debbie Downer or what? Probably could have done a quick exodus from my car, with the head down thing or cell phone to ear thing. Ya know? You ever done the same?
fs

1 comment:

Clay said...

that isnt debbie downer -- that is just "im fred and leave me alone!" i do the same thing .... sometimes you just dont have the energy. ive jumped into alley ways, hid behind bushes and took the stairs rather than the elevator - so i feel ya!