Monday, May 29, 2006

Presentation Jitters

Uh. Yeah, I'm up late. Been working with a few of the co-presenters on the workshop we're doing at NCORE (told you about it two entries below...) this week in Chicago. I think it'll be great. But I just can't sleep.

We're doing a comprehensive 2-day workshop on the intersections of ethnicity and class as they relate to LGBT students of color on campus. Yeah, it's a mouthful.

I'm really excited about the specific parts my three friends and I are doing in this whole workshop -- the myths and hype around the whole DL thing, religion and mega-churches, and how citizenship/immigration status and sexual orientation are intersected. We'll see.

If anything, we hope that we create some dialogue and some shifts. In fact, for a conference that prides itself on being the premiere "race" and ethnicity conference in higher education, for the powers that be to green-light a 2-day workshop on LGBT students of color is MAJOR. Thanks NCORE.

I like talking in front of groups -- if I know what I'm talking about. I'm not a big BSer and not into the smoke and mirrors conversation just to get through something. One of the co-presenters said I ought to do more solo speeches tying in my novel with contemporary issues facing LGBT students of color. I was like, Yeah I should. And while at NCORE I'll be working to make it happen. There's a whole lot more traveling I want to do.

In the meantime, I SHOULD be sleeping. It's 1 friggin o'clock in the morning. I need to be at my presentation room at 7:30ish. Presentation jitters suck.
fs

1 comment:

dancehard said...

I wish they had something like this for my fellow gay, bi, and questioning brothas when I was an undergrad. What you are doing is so important, and you will do fine. I wish you luck!

-J
http://www.sittinonthefence.blogspot.com