Thursday, December 22, 2005

Get It In East L.A.: Club Chico


So one of the clubs mentioned in my novel is Club Chico. The character Rafael loves this place. I don't blame him. I love it too.

Sometimes I stop by Chico, which is a quick drive from my house for L.A. standards. Research, you know, is a necessary evil for writing sometimes... lol.


Especially on Wednesday nights, when it's hip hop night. Well, every night has some hip hop, but Wednesdays is exclusively hip hop, with a 30-minute 80s/90s hip hop interlude at midnight.

Most nights are pretty good... it's small... and like Cheers, everybody knows your name when you walk in. Or they'll know it by the time it's last call and you're walking to the parking lot.

And the crowd is black and brown, young and young at heart, hip and down to earth, a mixture of blue and white collars, college and working crowd, and... well, stroll around the site to see what else. And if you like dancers... well, um, you like dancers.

Next time you're in L.A., and not into the West Hollywood thing, but want a Brooklyn/D.C. basement feel, I'd totally suggest a visit to this place. Good crowd. Good drinks. Good staff, especially my favorite bartender, Julio!


There are some good things on the East Side!
fs

2 comments:

Arch City Expatriate said...

Thanks for the head's up. I could definitely check it out on non-hip hop nights.

Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

Um, How you doin?

Thanks for the tip, I'll call you when I am on my way...meet me there and then let me wonder off in the darkness.