Thursday, April 02, 2009

60 Minutes... of Dolly and Memories

Dolly Parton will be featured on 60 Minutes this Sunday, April 5. She'll be talking about how her business-savvy nature, and how she has managed to ride out hard times. CBS News preview here.

Y'all know I'm a huge Dolly Parton fan. I remember an interview she did once on some show talking about her experience working on the film Steel Magnolias. She talked about how some of the co-stars were complaining about the heat, long hours, etc... while working on the film. She said she never felt like complaining, because why complain about something you've dreamed about doing all your life.

I liked that humble and gratitude-filled answer. That sold me.

But, back to 60 Minutes. This morning while getting ready for work, I thought to myself, "Why have I always liked 60 Minutes and the news?"

And I remembered... Sunday afternoon and evening was our personal chore day. My parents had my sister and I do our laundry, iron, and get our clothes ready for the upcoming school week (I think that's why I'm so planned out nowadays!) Then, they'd wash, dry, and oil our scalps... that was usually around the 7 pm hour, when 60 Minutes was on. Oiling your hair... how old school, huh?!?!

We had no choice but to watch 60 Minutes, and to learn about things, places, issues, and people that no other elementary school kid was learning about. Those were my first memories about being interested in news and being a 60 Minutes fan.

Anyway, funny how one thing leads to another. But for sure, I'll be tuned in (or at least my DVR will be) for Dolly Parton on 60 Minutes this Sunday!
fs

1 comment:

John the Scribe said...

I love Aunt Dolly. She's humble, funny, and an lgbt ally. I hope to have her record one of my songs one day. You've got to dream big, right? Have a good weekend.