Sunday, September 07, 2008

Safe

To find more information and posters like this, visit the Men Can Stop Rape website.

I've been thinking about the idea of being safe, or having a safe world, lately. I'm an idealist and believe we can all do small and large things that add to the overall safeness of the world and our neighborhoods.

Safety is one of the themes running through Pearl Cleage's novels, Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do and Baby Brother's Blues, in which a major character, Blue, follows his life and personal mission to create a safe space for the women and children in his Atlanta neighborhood.

Do you feel safe where you are? Are there ways you contribute to helping others feel safe?

I know I'll get asked, so what are YOU doing Fred? Well, in my small way I contribute to a safe space with my day job. Working with students. Planning events where young people learn how to challenge racism, sexism, heterosexism, classism, and other forms of opression in society. Creating a space where dialogue, not debate, is encouraged and can bring us closer to the truth. Big, deep answer. Yeah, not what you wanted! :-)

Anyway, have a good day. Hope it's good and safe where you are!
fs





No comments: