Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Reader Cheater

Don't you hate it... you're reading one book that you're digging. But then your copy of a new book arrives, say, Dirty Girls on Top, and you open it just to read the first line... and several dozen pages into it you realize you're digging this book more than the one you were already reading. A reader cheater. That's what I am.

Anyway, last night had a great event at the GLBT Historical Society in San Francisco. Cool museum and archives. Cool board of directors and audience. Read and had conversation with Jewelle Gomez, who is phenomenal, and whose Gilda Stories is a legendary piece of work. When the video is up on YouTube, I'll let you know.

Some of you may know that I used to live in San Francisco. It was my first city/job after grad school. So it was nice to get to come back, visit with some old friends, etc... One of the old (but new and re-named) haunts had some retro videos and music going.

Why did I have a take-me-back moment with NuNu and Get With U by Lidell Townsell. Some songs... just remind you of college, black student union parties, experimenting, crushes on boys who'll never like you back but you're friends with their girlfriends so you just cope and deal... all that jazz.

Come to think of it, it's not just reading I could never focus on. But the cable cars are loading up just a block from my hotel. Gonna go take a ride before my airport shuttle arrives.

Have a good one!
fs

No comments: