Saturday, April 05, 2008

Oughta See... Read... Hear...

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't appreciate the work of Octavia Butler until just a few months before her death in early 2006.

Everyone had been telling me... "Fred, you oughta read Kindred." I finally did over holidays 05 into 06. Loved it. Octavia Butler was scheduled to be in Pasadena, CA for the One Book, One City reading, and I'd put it on my calendar, then...

So this morning I started thinking about those events that everyone says we "OUGHTA" see... read... hear at least once before our own time on earth ends...

For some reason, and don't think me weird, B.B. King came to mind. That's what's playing in the background now. I always think of my parents and their older relatives, and how when B.B. King came to town, it was/is a BIG deal. They got all excited about a night out to see him.

Everyone tells me that since I'm a huge Diana Ross fan, that I have to see her live once. Can't believe I haven't.

I agree everyone should read Kindred by Octavia Butler. Excellent work.

Everyone oughta experience New York City at least once... and ride the subways. Brooklyn is a favorite of mine... still haven't hit Harlem.

Sushi should be experienced at least once... I'd do it everyday, to be honest. Love me some sushi. And not just California rolls, lol, though those are good too.

What's on your "Oughta see... read... hear..." at least once list of recommendations?
fs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES, FREDERICK, YOU DO WANT TO SEE MS ROSS LIVE. tHERE ARE MANY SINGERS SCHLEPPING AROUND...VERY FEW PERFORMERS OR ENTERTAINERS. rOSS KNOW HOW TO SING AND PERFORM. TO THE BEST THAT I KNOW SHE IS COMING TO THE "HOLLYWOOD BOWL" IN LA THIS SUMMER.iqb