Monday, November 07, 2005

Poetry Opportunities


People just don't buy or read poetry books as much as they used to, but that doesn't stop poets from producing their great works. I don't know why poetry doesn't produce the great numbers that fiction or non-fiction do, but, oh well... I applaud the efforts of poets producing their chapbooks and books, and sharing their work whenever possible.

But there are some opportunities for poets to get published. Check out this one: The Beatrice Hawley Award. The deadline is December 1, 2005. When I find others, I'll pass them along.

But the best advice I share with those who aspire to be published is to subscribe to Poets & Writers Magazine. In addition to great articles on writers and their processes, the back half of the magazine is chock full of free money, so to speak -- residencies, scholarships, fellowships, contests, opportunities for publication -- for poets and writers. It's the best-kept secret.
fs

No comments: