Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Santa Barbara Recap


The students and staff at UC Santa Barbara really made me feel welcome last night, as I discussed my novel and other subjects. Which other subjects came up in conversation?

Students had a lot to say about representations of black and brown people, especially black/brown gay people, in the media (most had not even heard of Noah's ARC which debuts tonight on LOGO, or a host of other black, gay novels I shared with them to support), the myths surrounding the down low (fortunately, many had read Keith Boykin's book, Beyond The Down Low, and were well-versed in challenging the hype of 2004), and challenges in building community between straight and gay black students (and a nice surprise... several had read Rashid Darden's book, Lazarus, or had it on their holiday wish lists).

It was a great night, and I'm always amazed at the intellect that young seekers of truth and knowledge possess.

Thanks again to the great staff at the UC Santa Barbara MultiCultural Center and the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity for hosting me.
fs

No comments: