Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Independent

Hey everyone. Hope you all had a nice weekend out there. I certainly did. Just dropped off the buddies at LAX. Hated to see everyone go.

So. Back to being independent. I love company. I love being alone too. Such a paradox.

One thing we know to be true is that many LGBT high school and college age students have to declare themselves independent once they declare and disclose their sexual orientation to their families. Often, this leaves them without a financial foundation to pursue their higher education goals. The Point Foundation is one organization, of many, providing scholarships target specifically for LGBT students. Check them out.

We also know there is a tenuous tug between chain stores (music or books) and independent stores. It's often framed as the battle between "Corporate America" and "Mom & Pop" stores. I like supporting independent stores and film whenever possible, even if I have to pay a bit more. Here's a link to a former blog entry I wrote, where I list a number of independent LGBT bookstores around the country. Check them out. Try to order a few things from them, even if online.

Well, I know many of you are back to the 9-to-5 grind. Hope it's a good one.
fs

No comments: