Sunday, June 07, 2009

Rewind, Refocus, Remember

So you all know I'm a big fan of Tayari Jones's novels, Leaving Atlanta and The Untelling. Was super happy to see on her blog that she's finished writing her third novel, The Silver Girl. Congrats! I'm sure it'll be as awesome as the first two.

It's no secret that I've been a few minutes in between books. I finished a not-too-great first draft of my third novel, which I've been tinkering with (i.e. re-writing/editing/getting just right) for over a year. I'm looking forward to refocusing this summer on the book and getting it right. A week from today, my summer vacation begins (graduation will be over), so I'll have all the time in the world.

Because I definitely miss the excitement typing the words, The End, the whole publication process, and getting to talk to people about it. It's fun work. I was re-listening to an interview I did on Feast of Fools podcast and remembered how much fun it was. And then last week someone sent me a link to a recent review of Down For Whatever. Exciting when a review comes, even when the book is four years old.

Anyway, I'm so excited for Tayari Jones. I hope to have the same excitement she's feeling before the end of this summer, when I get to type and feel confident about... The End.
fs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely glad to hear that you are working on the third one. I enjoyed the first two books and anxiously waiting for the next one.

Johnny Diaz said...

Fred,
Good to hear that you're still writing. What's the sexy plot line for number tres? Is it a sequel to one of the other two? Maybe you should a blog post about how to stay motivated to keep writing.